- Title Pages
- A Note on Terminology
- Chapter One Prelude to Martial Law
- Chapter Two Final War Planning for Hawai‘i, 1939–1941
- Chapter Three Implementation of Martial Law and Military Government
- Chapter Four Life under General Orders
- Chapter Five Control of Labor
- Chapter Six “Drum-head Justice”?
- Chapter Seven “An Extreme Degree of Fear”
- Chapter Eight Selective Detention and Removal
- Chapter Nine Determining Loyalty
- Chapter Ten The Fate of the Detainees
- Chapter Eleven Alarms and Responses
- Chapter Twelve “Delineation” and Restoration, 1942–1943
- Chapter Thirteen The Habeas Corpus Cases
- Chapter Fourteen New Habeas Cases
- Chapter Fifteen Rising Protests
- Chapter Sixteen The Termination of Martial Law
- Chapter Seventeen The <i>Duncan</i> and <i>White</i> Cases
- Chapter Eighteen War’s Aftermath and the Courts
- A Note on Sources
- About the Authors
- Bayonets in Paradise
- University of Hawai'i Press
Hawaii Scholarship Online requires a subscription or purchase to access the full text of books within the service. Public users can however freely search the site and view the abstracts and keywords for each book and chapter.
If you think you should have access to this title, please contact your librarian.
To troubleshoot, please check our FAQs, and if you can't find the answer there, please contact us.