- Title Pages
- Introduction The East Asian Maritime Realm in Global History, 1500–1700
- One Neither Here nor There
- Two Envoys and Escorts
- Three Friend or Foe?
- Four Maps, Calendars, and Diagrams
- Five Yiguan’s Origins
- Six Between Bureaucrats and Bandits
- Seven The Zheng Regime and the Tokugawa Bakufu
- Eight Determining the Law of the Sea
- Nine Dreams in the Chinese Periphery
- Ten Shame and Scandal in the Family
- Eleven Bridging the Bipolar
- Twelve The Burning Shore
- Thirteen Admiral Shi Lang’s Secret Proposal to Return Taiwan to the VOC
- Fourteen Trade, Piracy, and Resistance in the Gulf of Tonkin in the Seventeenth Century
- Fifteen Koxinga and His Maritime Regime in the Popular Historical Writings of Post–Cold War Taiwan
- Sixteen Japan in the Chinese Tribute System
- Glossary of Chinese Characters
- Notes on the Contributors
- Sea Rovers, Silver, and Samurai
- University of Hawai'i Press
Hawaii Scholarship Online requires a subscription or purchase to access the full text of books within the service. Public users can however freely search the site and view the abstracts and keywords for each book and chapter.
If you think you should have access to this title, please contact your librarian.
To troubleshoot, please check our FAQs, and if you can't find the answer there, please contact us.