- Title Pages
- In Reverent Memory
- Technical Details and Abbreviations
- 1 Incest and Schism
- 2 The Creation of Sects in Early Buddhism
- 3 The Story of Mahādeva
- 4 The Buddhist Context of Sin
- 5 Mahādeva in Other Sources
- 6 Schism Accounts in Buddhist Doxographies
- 7 The Story of Dharmaruci
- 8 Abuse and Victimhood
- 9 Persian Perversities
- 10 The Bedtrick
- 11 Retelling Dharmaruci’s Story
- 12 Dharmaruci in Other Sources
- 13 Incest in Indian Buddhist Culture
- 14 The Story of Utpalavarṇā
- 15 The “Indian Oedipus”
- 16 Joseph and the Wife of Potiphar
- 17 Further Dimensions of the Oedipal in India
- 18 The Medieval Europe an Oedipal Judas
- 19 Why Incest Taboos?
- 20 Forging Mahādeva
- Works Cited
- About the Author
- Production Notes
- Riven by Lust
Jonathan A. Silk
- University of Hawai'i Press
Hawaii Scholarship Online requires a subscription or purchase to access the full text of books within the service. Public users can however freely search the site and view the abstracts and keywords for each book and chapter.
If you think you should have access to this title, please contact your librarian.
To troubleshoot, please check our FAQs, and if you can't find the answer there, please contact us.